The world of website development is evolving rapidly and making it challenging for some businesses to survive in this digital era.
According to the Statista survey, there are over 5.16 billion internet users globally, and these numbers are growing every single minute.
With the technology being evolved, users’ preferences for websites are also evolving. One Adobe study states that around 41% of customers want their website to be designed in a simple minimalist way, whereas 59% vote for extraordinary websites.
Thereby considering those 59% of users, businesses must keep pace with web development trends to remain competitive. And to make your brand position stronger in this competitive digital market, you require a robust web product.
But how will you do it? Of course, by referring to the current market trends for web development can work for your organization.
Hence, to save you time and effort, we have researched and analyzed tons of references and gathered the top-grade web development trends that will ship your web development idea to the next destination.
So, let’s get started!
Major Web Development Trends to Check out in 2023
You may find many of these trends on the internet, but they are likely to become considerably more prevalent in the years to come. Let’s have a peek at the hottest web development trends for 2023:
1. Progressive Web Apps (PWAs)
Among our list of web development trends, PWA technology comes first. It’s an app that functions as a website with a full-native mobile app experience. It communicates with clients as a native app and runs independently.
You probably have used these applications that appear on home screens and taskbars and launch as stand-alone apps without any dependency on browsers or other apps. In simple words, you can use these apps just like normal hybrid apps which you download from app stores.
Here are the favorable changes the PWA technology brings for businesses and users:
- Seamless installation
- Saving device storage and power
- Lessened support and development expenses
- Smooth updating and maintenance
- Faster launch to the market
- More flexible distribution
Ericsson’s research shows that worldwide mobile data traffic to go by a factor of nearly 4 to reach 325 EB monthly by 2028. Hence, people will start using their mobile gadgets more to meet their requirements.
Also, the 5G networks will carry 62% of the whole mobile data traffic, which will offer more responsive and quicker mobile services.
With the PWA development, many top brands, like Pinterest, Uber, Twitter, Instagram, Starbucks, Tinder, Trivago, and many others, have noticed an increase in their business website traffic, thus, business from 20% to 80%.
Hence, PWAs will undoubtedly be a game-changer for businesses in the coming years.
2. Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
It is one more trend in the web development industry. Not to forget, this great project was conceptualized and brought to life by Google and Twitter together!
The concept of AMP stands for Accelerate Mobile Pages – an open-source project, a functionality that results in better user retention. AMP technology works quite similarly to PWA – lightweight pages that load quickly on all smart devices (in around 0.7 – 2 seconds) as it extensively relies on web caching resulting in better web app performance.
Studies show that there are around 884,954 live websites using AMPs, which is quite a great number.
AMPs are optimized pages featuring a convenient and simplified design with basic features compared to full-scope web products. Moreover, these pages are mobile-responsive, and their content is also readable.
Let’s have a look at the benefits offered by AMPs:
- Get faster website loading time across all smart devices;
- Allows facilitating rich data representation and better website performance across any browser;
- Eliminates the need for creating sitemaps;
- Better website loading speed results in a lower bounce rate, resulting in better SEO performance with, thus, visibility in Google Search Results.
AMP is a new trend that shows that the internet is getting more user-centric. Although now we have 5G internet technology and many brands select to create native applications to improve user experience, the AMP plugin helps businesses save expenses on UX.
3. Mobile-First Development
The rapid increase of mobile users describes why the mobile-first method will massively shape the future of web development. Many web developers have been using this method for years.
As per the Statista report, the website traffic globally is extensively generated through mobile phones, and the data was observed at 59.16% of mobile device share in Q42022.
Since mobile devices are getting the maximum traffic, using the mobile-first web development approach has become crucial.
However, being mobile-friendly is inconstant. It means providing one-click ordering on eCommerce applications, utilizing Geo-location data for delivering a personalized experience to users, and including biometric authentication like voice recognition or fingerprint scanning, etc.
By making your website mobile-friendly, you can unlock the following benefits:
- Engage with more target users who always use mobile-first when searching for anything;
- Helps a lot in mobile advertising to expand your website reach;
- Increases website credibility and brand recognition, thus, business conversion.
So, to reap more benefits of your website, you can make your website mobile-friendly in these ways:
- Mobile-optimized websites, like Progressive Web Apps and Accelerated Mobile Pages;
- Make the website responsive to all types and sizes of screens, including mobile phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops.
4. Single Page Application (SPA)
SPA is one of the trendy and ruling web development solutions. Unlike conventional website apps, it contains a single page that initially loads the whole website page and then loads the dynamic content on the same page. HTML5 and AJAX are used to make SPAs responsive.
Some perks of SPAs include:
- Offline support
- Convenient debugging
- Easy navigation
- Quick page load and reduced bounce rate
SPAs are perfect for organizations to simplify user navigation and raise profit through quick page loading.
But they do face server-side rendering issues. Worry not, as there’s always a way to fix the limitations! You can make your React.js website SEO-friendly using Next.js and Angular website using Angular Universal.
- Has a powerful toolkit for developing complex and highly interactive web apps;
- Offers reusable components, helping to speed up web app development;
- Allows building apps with neatly-structured codes;
- Facilitates built-in HTML templating;
6. Micro Frontend
Inspired by the microservices architecture for backend management, Micro Frontend Architecture is taking the web development processes to the next level of convenience by dividing the codebase into granular manageable parts.
It further offers developers great conveniences for managing and scaling the source code as needed and delivering a seamless user experience. It even enables developers to deploy complex, feature-rich, robust web applications, even single-page applications, effortlessly.
This micro frontend offers the following benefits to web developers:
- Offers reliable team scaling up by splitting up into multiple teams working across different web front-end compositions;
- Allows adopting different tech stacks;
- Ensures that different team codes are self-contained;
- Enables different teams to work on their code updates without interfering with other teams;
- Offers edge-level flexibility for web design and development;
- Lets developers build resilient applications;
- Embraces DevOps culture to automate code integration and deployment with CI/CD pipelines, leading to faster app time-to-market;
- Scale your front end as needed and a lot more.
In short, with micro frontend architecture, web development is made easy by breaking monolithic frontend development procedures and embracing the highly manageable, convenient web development method.
And that’s the reason why Micro frontend architecture for startup app development is becoming the next blockbuster hit across industries and is suggested by full-stack developers.
7. Cloud Computing
After the beginning of the remote working age, the adoption rate of cloud technology has surged extensively.
According to Statista, the public cloud computing market is estimated to reach 591.79 billion USD in 2023.
With the potential to process data generated at scale, cloud computing enables businesses of all scales, sizes, and industries to surpass their creativity and embrace dynamic working methods.
In short, the versatile nature of the cloud technology makes it the ultimate choice for organizations to choose it for their web deployments and other mission-critical software solutions to leverage its offering, which we have mentioned below:
- Cloud computing facilitates immense flexibility and scalability with its pay-as-you-go model;
- It offers the highest level of data security;
- The pay-as-you-go cloud computing model allows businesses to save money with proper cloud computing resource management;
- Avails effective disaster management by allowing to store data across different data centers located across regions and availability zones, as AWS offers;
- Offers better accessibility to cloud data by enabling users to access their data using any device with internet connectivity;
- Using cloud computing services, users can seamlessly deploy, monitor, and manage cloud resources on demand;
- By bringing the cloud computing and DevOps teams together, businesses can break web development team silos and speed up development.
8. Serverless Architecture
Being one of the quickly growing domains, the Web documented a massive increase in the popularity of serverless architecture.
According to the State of the Cloud Report by Flexera, 99% of companies utilize at least one private or public cloud. It shows that cloud architecture is going to be a significant future web development trend.
Serverless computing boasts some exciting benefits:
- Quicker time-to-market
- Improved scalability
- Scheduled maintenance
In terms of serverless development, programmers create and run web apps without thinking about servers. Cloud providers support these apps even if they still run on servers. We must mention Microsoft, Google, and Amazon when talking about serverless computing service providers.
9. AI-Powered Chatbots
The 24/7 proactive user support providing service – the Chatbot has been in the web development trend for over many years. Since its inception, AI-powered chatbots like Replika and ChatGPT have created a great impact across industries.
Therefore, the global chatbot market size is expected to grow to $4.9 billion by 2032 at a CAGR of 19.29% during the period 2023-2032.
However, in 2023 and later years, this trend has been expected to become even more versatile in fulfilling the requirements of matching user behaviors by using natural language processing, machine learning, and data retrieval methods.
Apart from helping organizations do faster operations with text or voice chats, AI-powered chatbots also enhance the client experience with their 24/7 proactive client support. They can find and provide information, fix issues, promptly reply to queries, and, above all, facilitate a great digital experience.
Let’s know some overall benefits offered by AI-powered chatbots:
- Improves customer engagement with your business, thus, their customer service satisfaction;
- Increases lead generation, thus, business conversation;
- Saves ample time for customer service executives;
- Cuts down customer service costs;
- Gets you narrowed-down consumer insights to help you create effective business marketing strategies and make better decisions.
Thereby, many competent B2C organizations serve their clients with these chatbots within Skype, WhatsApp, and Facebook rather than common chatbots. We predict more organizations to accept AI-enabled chatbots in the near future.
Many industries like finance, education, travel, and healthcare are profiting the most from chatbots.
10. Content Personalization with AI/ML Technology
Nowadays, every user, whatever the media they use, wants the content presented there to be curated as per their interests.
As per the Google report, around 90% of leading digital marketers agree that personalized user experience contributes to business profitability.
As per The State of Personalization 2021 report:
- Around 75% of business leaders believe personalization is a table stake for the digital experience;
- In addition to that, 52% of consumers say that with a brand providing a personalized digital experience, their satisfaction improves;
- Also, 55% of consumers believe that the brand providing personalized digital experience makes them believe that the brand is trustworthy and transparent;
- After experiencing personalized shopping, there is around a 60% of chances to get a repeat customer.
These statistics reflect that now personalization is no longer an option but rather a necessity.
What is Content Personalization?
Content personalization is the process of showcasing content as per the user’s interest using machine learning algorithms. It is also known as AI-driven predictive content personalization.
AI and ML developers use some machine learning algorithms to process incoming data at scale to detect user behaviors and patterns and extract data to deliver content personalization. Just the way Netflix, Spotify, YouTube, Airbnb, and many other apps curate content as per their users’ interests.
What are the benefits of content personalization with AI/ML technology?
- You get real-time analytics to understand users’ behavior on your site, such as their view time, navigation path, sections where they’ve spent more time, etc.;
- Enables to do A/B testing to check recommendations that work well on users;
- The audience gets more relevant recommendations, which makes them visit your site often, and encourages them to buy, increasing your conversion rate.
11. API-First Development
API-first development approach fulfills users’ needs. With this approach, developers can do their tasks and push the code simultaneously when users access a website. It lowers development expenses and boosts delivery speed.
Furthermore, this method permits new websites to become content delivery sources. You can access a CMS created in this method from browsers and smart kiosks or cars.
Some notable perks of API-first development are:
- Enhanced adaptability
- Quicker time-to-market
- Lessened development expense
- Enhanced client experience
Therefore, the API-first website development approach is extensively used by e-commerce, supply chain businesses, and big enterprises, like Netflix, Etsy, and many others.
And its extended version of API integration in a website can help you create a B2B SaaS integrated solution offering a large business scope, which is also our next-in-line web development trend.
12. Complete B2B SaaS Solution
Convenience is all every business needs in this fast-paced digital world where every fraction of a second – a set of data is generated. Therefore, to get convenience in managing data – being gathered from multiple sources, including websites, mobile apps, and many others, businesses are integrating their digital solutions with one software to make multiple applications talk to each other.
Integrating 3rd party APIs with your web application can make it possible and help you create a complete B2B SaaS solution. And when connecting multiple SaaS solutions, this solution is known as B2B SaaS Integration, which demands support from Cloud and SaaS integration experts to make it a smooth process.
Why do businesses need a complete B2B SaaS Solution?
- Offers efficiency
- Unlock SaaS ecosystem automation
- Easily scale web processes and company operations
- Ensure effective employee-customer services
- Enforce transparency
13. Dark Mode UI
The dark mode trend has become immensely popular worldwide, and we expect it to soar higher in the coming years. Due to its visual design pattern, a dark-themed website makes it easier for users to enjoy web browsing regardless of device.
Source: NFT Marketplace Website
The dark mode is the hype amongst users; hence, it’s the preference of around 81.9% of smartphone users. In addition, around 64.6% of users prefer to use websites with dark themes.
Tech biggies like Google, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter are already using dark mode UI, and many more will lay their hands on this trending technology.
With popularity, the dark mode also has its advances to offer, such as:
- Reduces blue-light;
- Saves battery life; to be precise, dark mode on AMOLED displays can reduce battery usage by up to 63%;
- Makes UI content accessible and legible to all;
- Lowers eye strain even in low light conditions.
Since many web developers provide the same in-built feature to move between dark and light modes, in the latter years, it may become the de facto default for web and mobile applications.
14. Voice Search
With the existence of powerful voice assistants, like Google Assistance, Siri, Alexa, Bixby, and many others available, voice search is a great becoming trend amongst smartphone users, especially in GenZ and users with disabilities.
As per the UpCity 2022 report, around 50% of the US consumers use voice search regularly, 34% once a week, and 16% once a month, to perform their internet activities.
If we break down this voice search survey on the age group wise, then 58% of consumers using voice search daily are from the age group 25-34, and 43% are 55+ years old and exploring this feature weekly.
We predict to see more impacts of voice search on the web in the upcoming years.
As per the Statista report, the global smart speaker market will reach over $35.5 billion by 2025.
Another Statista study suggests that the voice recognition market is expected to reach $27.16 billion by 2026 at a CAGR of 16.8%.
By considering different studies and present market conditions, voice search optimization has become one of the top web development trends. You must include it in your technical SEO strategy to stay ahead of the competition.
When implementing it, use Web Speech API to integrate voice search technology in any web application. The API features two components: SpeechSynthesis and SpeechRecognition.
Speech synthesis is the text-to-speech element that enables scripts to read text content. Speech recognition enables the identification of the voice context and responds to queries.
15. Motion UI
Creative web design is another web development trend this year. Startups always focus more on user experience and invest fewer resources in appearance. However, there is more chance of getting noticed by promising users if you have beautifully designed apps and websites. Hence, visual design has become an effective marketing strategy.
Nowadays, many websites are using motion UI frequently. In fact, many websites are expected to anticipate incorporating Motion UI in their website layouts in the upcoming years.
Source: Planet X landing page
Motion UI design makes the use of digital products more spontaneous and precise. The method is all about CSS shifts and custom animation integration enabled by standalone libraries with many classes of animated components. Using them, developers don’t have to invest more time in digital product creation and save expenses for product owners.
Benefits of implementing Motion UI:
- Helps users to grasp information easily and in a fun way;
- Makes the implementation of animated parts easy – speeds up prototyping;
- Facilitate enjoyable micro-interactions to make users immersed in your web design, which may result in improved business conversions.
16. Augmented Reality (AR)
Among other web development trends, Augmented Reality (AR) is getting its popularity with its unique proposals in web development. AR brings a unique approach for users to explore and interact with the website and its elements like they are part of the real world.
In short, by utilizing AR, web developers can create immersive experiences by blending the physical and digital worlds. It takes the help of smart gadgets, like smartphones, tablets, AR glasses/headsets, etc., to unlock crucial web features like real-time interaction with virtual and real worlds and overlays information about the product you want.
AR also needs the support of computer vision functionality and big data to identify the object and fetch the information to overlay on the real-world surface with the help of the application.
When it comes to using AR in web and mobile app development, retail & ecommerce, real estate, gaming, and supply chain industries reap the most benefits.
As per Statista survey, the market size of the Augmented Reality (AR)-based software is estimated to grow to $11.58 billion by the end of 2023 and to $15.51 billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 7.58% for the forecast period 2023-2027.
Now, let’s have a look at the benefits AR offers:
- Unlocks the new age of user interactions;
- Overlays information in a brief and structured way, enabling users to grasp information without much cognition load;
- Increases user shopping and management experience, thus, their loyalty;
- Reduces product return rates;
- Unlocks next-level personalization.
And that’s the reason why IKEA, NIKE, Lenskart, and many other top brands have used AR for their web and mobile app development.
17. Blockchain Technology
Since its inception, Blockchain technology – an immutable, highly secure, advanced distributed ledger that forms a chain of blocks storing data in fractions, has been the talk of the town that improves business transparency and data traceability.
Due to its top-notch security, transparency, and traceability offerings, it is highly used in sites with payment gateway integrations and by FinTech sectors. As blockchain is a distributed ledger, it eliminates compliance costs and gives you total control of your data.
Peer-to-peer networking will also build. Suppose this technology becomes more accessible and reliable for people; it will lead to massive transformations in the way people communicate with government services, pay taxes, and make professional connections.
Blockchain technology and Web 3.0 has brought up much innovation in the interest. And seeing their increasing popularity, many Fortune brands, including Facebook and Google, have begun their experiments with Blockchain, Web 3.0, and Metaverse.
What makes Blockchain Technology the best-fit for your business-critical web development?
- The immutability nature of Blockchain technology improves the enhanced security transparency;
- Eliminates the intermediary regulatory parties, thus, reducing costs associated with compliance;
- Increases efficiency;
- Enables smart contracts, automating complex processes and reduces the risk of fraud;
- Facilitates a smart prediction system.
Due to all this, Blockchain technology is considered the best choice for banking, finance, insurance, e-commerce, and supply chain-related business websites.
How Can MindInventory Help You In Web Development?
The web development trends discussed above will change how businesses communicate with their clients in 2023 and beyond. Implementing these web development trends will help you enhance user engagement and make your business stay ahead of the competition.
One of the finest conditions for using one of these major web development technologies to accomplish your business purpose is by choosing a reputable web development company like MindInventory.
We have an in-house team of web developers, web UI/UX designers, and motion graphic designers for you to hire to work on your web development project and deliver you the solution that elevates your brand reputation.
Be it a new web app development or website redesign project, we can help you with all from design to development with QA testing and on-demand maintenance and support.
FAQs about Web Development Trends
The technologies that power the bespoke web software domain represent the future of web development. PWA, SPA, serverless architecture, and voice-enabled web experiences will be particularly prominent web development trends in 2023 and beyond. General technology, such as AI, AR, Blockchain, web 3.0 and IoT will continue as a web trend for the next decade.
With the technological evolution and changing requirements of web consumers, web development is also evolving. There was a time when websites were created only for the digital presence, but now it is more than that and getting more user-centric. From user research intent and UX research and strategy creation to UI designing, industry-leading web technology selection for web development, and many other ways web development is changing.